The Halloween Post

Ahhhh…Halloween.  I remember as a kid loving Halloween so much that I would start thinking about the next year’s costume on November 1st.  Good Times.  I was reflecting on this while driving the kids to school and listening to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on the radio when the kids started fighting in the backseat.  I was looking back to tell them to can it, and didn’t notice that I had entered a school zone where a van we shall call “the devil” was parked.  The next thing I saw was a FLASH.  When I get the ticket in the mail along with my picture, I promise to post it for all to see.  Grrrrr.

Anyway, the kids had parties and a costume parade, and because TM has a huge problem with noise and crowds, I decided it would be best to stay with him and then check in on DQ after the parade.  TM was a major grump.  I tried taking his picture in his lobster costume, but he was having none of it.  He pulled his lobster eyes down so I couldn’t see his face.  It was going to be a fun afternoon.

I can’t really say I blamed him, as this was the snack at his party:

It’s kind of camoflauged, but there is a spider made out of crackers, cream cheese, pretzels and raisins.  Very cute, but not very appetizing when there is a perfectly good Tootsie Pop sitting right there in front of you.  THAT YOU AREN’T ALLOWED TO EAT!  The school has a Health and Wellness policy that bans all sugar from classroom activity, and although this sounds great in theory, try enforcing that on Halloween (a.k.a. Sugar Coma Day) in a classroom full of 4-year old’s.  They were only allowed to wrap it in tissue paper and make a ghost out of it.  Woo. 

I managed to get a picture of him before school, and one of his back during the parade. 

And DQ, sweet little DQ.  I can’t believe I actually typed that, but she was.  She was all smiles and joy during her party and parade.  She loved her healthy snacks, and gobbled them up with a smile on her face.  She fit her costume perfectly on this day.  Hmmmmm…..do you think it would be innappropriate to dress her as an angel every day.  Because after today, it seems perfectly logical to me.  A simple case of Cause and Effect people.

And yes, I made the costume (not the wings and halo) and I have to say it was the HUGEST stroke of luck ever.  I did not use a pattern.  I went and bought some clearance bin fabric and laid it out on the bed, put one of her dresses on top, traced around it, cut it out and sewed it together.  I almost passed out when it actually fit.  It was a Halloween miracle (if that isn’t sacrilegious).

By trick or treating time everyone was in a good mood and excited about the impending overdose of all things chocolate.  The kids were excited too. 

And yes, my kids used grocery bags to collect their candy.  I couldn’t find the plastic pumpkins they used last year.  Lost in the move I think.  Pip complained that they were too big, to which I countered, “No such thing my dear.  No such thing”.  The kids agreed with me. 

I read awhile back that when polled only 40% of parents said they stole some of their kids’ Halloween candy.  I say the other 60% are dirty rotten liars.  It makes me feel better about myself.

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under Angst, DQ and TM, Funsies, Sewing

5 responses to “The Halloween Post

  1. Devan

    Those costumes are AWESOME! Seriously, I’m impressed. I’ll get pics of my little cowgirl and indian soon.

    And, yeah, the 60% are liars. The first thing I did was separate the chocolate out. I mean, a 3.5-year-old can’t possibly appreciate all that chocolate like I can, right???

  2. Yeah, I am WAY more appreciative. And thanks about the costumes. I also just realized that the lobster costume could double as a Madonna in the late 80’s costume.

  3. jen

    LOVE the costumes! You are so creative! Want to make my kids costumes next year? Cuz otherwise they’re just going to wear sweats and be joggers!

    I gotta know, did he choose a lobster costume or did you choose it?

  4. He chose it. I asked him whay he wanted to be and he said “lobster”. Random, yes, and I was amazed that there was even such thing as a lobster costume. All I did was Google it.

  5. Barbara

    You are so clever it stinks. And I think the picture of him with it over his eyes is darling.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s